Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Blogging in Taiwan

is different because the sites online are all in Chinese and I honestly cannot read much more than - you, me, love, door, mouth, big, small - and of course, my own name. Let me say for myself, *super lame!!*

but this is cool...I didn't think I'd have a chance to post/read email here in Taiwan. Lucky for me, Auntie lets me use her laptop. Lucky for both of us that dad built it with his hi-tech computer skills.

I should rephrase the "cool" up in the last paragraph. It's HOT!!! Goodness...but not as bad as I imagined. Thank God for air conditioning. Without it, I would surely be in the hospital. In the morning and at night it's safe to go out, but now (it's 11:12 am but blogger posts in my time, Central Time) it's very warm.
In the mornings, grandma and I have been going out for exercise around the area. Let me warn everyone who hasn't been to Taiwan. Taipei is full of CRAZY-A.H. drivers. Mopeds, bicyclists, motorists, and taxis - *~~>EVERYWHERE-^_>** And somehow, it all works. Driving in the opposite lane, passing without signalling, accelerating and slowing down over a few seconds, then viceversa in the next few seconds. I don't think I'd be surprised if their life expectancy was much shorter.

So far, visited the National Palace Museum and a number of markets. Tonight Minnie is taking me to the Night Market, or Downtowne, not sure which. Grandpa wants to take me to the gardens and the mountain, and I do, but it steadily grows warmer each day and I know he'll take us in the middle of the day or something.
He's also very forgetful. He constantly reminds me three things. Several times each day on days when he comes to grandma's apartment he tells me 1) I can go to his house in Bei-to 2) take good classes and most importantly 3) find a good boyfriend and husband. I just want to say - Good Lord. For some reason he just makes me feel bad when he talks to me, I can see that aging is really taking a toll on him. He loves talking to everyone, when grandma and I came home this morning we found him talking the ears off the door-guy. I went down to tell grandpa he could eat lunch, I tried to get him up and save that poor guy (he looked at me like he was being lectured), but grandpa told me that he had to finish telling that guy something. He came upstairs thirty some minutes later ^_^. Poor door-guy.

I'll prolly post later...been here too long. Sleep well everyone over there, I'm with you in spirit (and body sometimes). Still haven't overcome jetlag.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Great to hear from you in Taiwan!

Oh yeah, rule of thumb in Tawian: pedestrians are never first. Look before you cross!