Today I went to the Thoj New Year at the Fitchburg center.
Last night MaiYer called to say that her cousin wasn't prepared for the party today and asked for her help to get it ready. Today we went out to buy supplies and set up the party.
The party wasn't too bad. Saw a few people from the past, namely MaiYer's older brother. It's so weird that earlier this year at the same center he asked me to dance and now, he's married and his wife is 3+ months pregnant for sure. Met Sweetie's sister-in-law and Mr. Pervert's brother who was running the party.
Lot of food, lot of kids, lot of skimpy dressed girls. The Pimp showed up for the party portion (after the dinner part) - looking like quite the pimp! Too bad the majority of the girls there are Thoj...
MaiYer and I were at the front table checking people in. I just watched all the bustle around me. The Olgies were super happy to see the miniature replica tools from their generation. I learned a lot from them, even though Ger's father was speaking directly to me in Hmong completely oblivious to the fact that I didn't understand a single word from his mouth. His demonstration of how to use the tool was enough - so I looked like I understood enough. Everyone, MaiYer, Bee, Nou laughed so hard that he couldn't tell that I didn't belong.
CN tells me that I should go to court and change my race. I guess he means ethnicity..but what good would that be? He's so silly...
M's headed over later after everyone is sufficiently under the influence. Didn't see him there while I was there, but I wanted to leave before a living reminder came to show. To think the last time I was at the center was when Yang sang those words...good grief... too many memories.
Overall it was a pretty good party. Left before all the dancing started..no need to relive through old memories.
Tuesday'll be fun. Coming back to the West Side with Nik to join his extended family. The Pimp's little sister and I are going trick-or-treating with the Bellybutton boys and the other young ones. M, Nik, all the others'll sit and as M says, Chill. M'll take me back for more school -_-' and so the week will go.
I guess going to the Thoj New Year was a good idea. I can't imagine really fitting any where else in their culture.
No comments:
Post a Comment