Something I've learned from being a foreigner, it's very lonely sometimes. My tough times in China were the evenings, when everyone went to the park with family or had something to do. I couldn't read any more, and I couldn't go to sleep early. The family I lived with wasn't always around, and it wasn't until more Americans came to stay with us that I felt less lonely. My "best" friend was the young lady who sold me my cell phone, I can still see her in my head, I was really thankful for her patience each time I bought recharge cards and when I finally switched SIM cards to the local card. I hope this year when I go back, that I can bump into her. Maybe she'll still be there :)
This experience has prompted me several times when I got back here to be mindful of who is new to our church, and introduce them to people they'd be helped by.
And...for those people who are from "obscure" sounding places, they love it when you know where exactly they're from.
So...after I pass the NCLEX (positive thinking!) I will learn Chinese and geography.
No comments:
Post a Comment