Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Companionship

This last weekend I was transferred to the Households at work. The Households are 2nd level care apartments, the old people there only need a little help with small things. It was a totally different atmosphere from the HC (highest level) and though I was bored and doing nothing much for the last two hours of the shift, I really enjoyed talking to the people there.

The ladies on my group were very friendly and loved to talk. One woman shared her romance with a gentleman in Apartments (lowest level care). She shared how they met, (they both moved in around the same time, and their spouses died the same year). Both were lonely and they didn't see each other for a year, but he looked for her during that year (b/c he didn't get her name). They finally met again by chance and he started seeing her.
So it's been a couple of years now. He drove up until he was 90, so they could go places. Then for his 90th birthday, she sat in a place of honor for his birthday. When she went to the hospital, he was waiting every day, etc. etc.
So it was cute how she was talking about him.

They're lucky to have companionship.
Every time M asks someone why they're married, that's the long-term answer. I don't ask around, but I'm sure that'd be the answer too.

No comments: