Thursday, December 28, 2006

China Gospel Conference

I'm at the China Gospel Conference in Rosemont, IL; right outside of Chicago.

I've been here since Tuesday and it's been ok. I really like the speakers/pastors/testimony-sharers/small group leaders and what is taught/reviewed in the sessions. We're reviewing the basics of Christianity, really peeling back the layers of "numbness" that many people experience when they've grown up in the church. There are also workshops on how the Bible and God are still central to our lives and how we live them.

I've honestly never been around this many Chinese people in my life. Well...in Taiwan but that was expected (btw...I hope you're doing well in Taiwan Cindy!!) 2,500+ Chinese people, not just Asian people but Chinese people. Gosh...sometimes I feel really out of it, but there's a comfort every time I see someone from church. It reminds me that there are Chinese Christians out there, and to my mom's benefit...a lot of eligible Chinese Christian guys...
Made a few friends, but I still prefer to be by myself more. Definitely a lot of interesting people, so many unique people...

a 19-year-old bartender
a guy who drove a bus and hit a SUV
a girl who has foot-phobia
a Korean girl whose missionary family is in China
a pastor who shares his experiences - all good and bad

lots of cool people.
I was talking with the Matchmaker a few nights ago... I still feel quite out of it. I guess I'm prejudiced? ^_~ I still feel more comfortable with Hmong people, even if I can't understand them.
__________________
Other news...
Jon had his wisdom teeth ripped out a few days ago. He's doing very well, eating and not as swollen as I had been.
Josh is fairly bored but this is his first conference. I remember my first one, I was homesick and literally sick..
My parents are busy at the other hotel rehearsing for choir and listening to other messages.
I'm still wanting to go back home a little...two big get togethers I've missed so far... but to tell myself the truth, I gotta be here...gotta work on me and God ^_^ I know they'll all be there to hang out this winter break.
Briefly talked with LB yesterday. ~25 seconds worth according to my cell. He had M's cell cause his was lost. Here at the confernce we talked about forgiveness this morning and I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Sometimes in my head, I call him my personal demon. Both M&M disagree with me about the "being friends after going out" and I wonder maybe if I'm wrong...if I'm being sinful by not being forgiving faster. Forgiveness...would it bring back our friendship? God works miracles...but do I really want it?
I don't mean to bring a shopping list of miracles to God but I wonder if I could 'forgive and forget' as everyone echoes mindlessly.
Another message in a few minutes...good night everyone! See you soon :)

No comments: